The St. Augustine area tradition of the Empty Stocking Fund continues this year with a new partnership. United Way of St. Johns County has joined The St. Augustine Record to assist those in need during the holiday. Supported by donations and started in the 1980s, the fund provides assistance allowing applicants to buy food, clothing and toys for their family.
As in year’s past, donations to the Empty Stocking Fund will continue to be distributed fully to applicants and are tax deductible, as United Way is a registered 501(c)(3) organization. Because United Way-SJC is tasked with distributing funding throughout the community on a regular basis, this is a seamless and efficient transition.
Donations should be made directly to United Way-SJC by mail, by dropping off at the Bridge Street office, or electronically. The details are below. Additional information for both donors and applicants can also be found on our Facebook page, facebook.com/staugustinerecordemptystockingfund.
Monetary donations can be made in any of the following ways:
• Online at bit.ly/esf2018
• Text-to-donate: Text Stocking to 50503
• Drop off at United Way of St. Johns County, 117 Bridge Street, St. Augustine
• Mail checks payable to United Way-SJC noting the Empty Stocking Fund, and mail to PO Box 1007, St. Augustine, FL 32085
Those who would like to apply for assistance from the fund can do so at one of several agencies partnering with the United Way-SJC again this year. Specific documents are required for verification at the time of application:
• Applicant’s identification AND Social Security card
• Documentation of household income for one month
• Proof of St. Johns County residency (lease, mortgage or electric bill)
• Spouse or partner’s Social Security card
• Birth certificates and Social Security cards for all dependents
Applications will not be accepted if these items cannot be verified or are incomplete. Applications for assistance WILL NOT be accepted at The Record’s building. Applications for the Empty Stocking Fund can be made from Monday, Nov. 5 to Wednesday, Nov. 21, at the following locations. Please note the days and times shown below.
WHEN AND WHERE TO APPLY